"Text Neck" A New Type of Neck Pain
There has been a recent increase in neck pain, shoulder pain, headaches, and mid back pain due to the use of electronic devices. “Text neck” is caused by sustained abnormal neck postures while using electronic devices, such as cell phones and computers. The classic forward and downward head position is responsible for this new wave musculoskeletal complaints. “Text neck” is not an official medical diagnosis or syndrome but has been used as the etiology of musculoskeletal complaints related to the sustained use of electronic devices.
Many of us working on computers and staring down at smartphones for hours on end each day, and that’s left an estimated 20% of us living with daily neck pain over this past year.
This abnormal neck posture strains muscles and over stresses spinal joints. The weight of the forward and downward head positions become too much to support causing muscles fatigue and remain in a semi contracted state. These contracted areas in the neck and mid back feel like knots or bumps within the muscle. These knots and bumps are also known as trigger points and lead to pain, stiffness, and loss of neck motion. Forward head postures also over stress spinal joints and intervertebral discs in the lower neck area. Joints in the lower neck can degenerate or “wear out” becoming painful and may lead to early arthritis.
Why it Matters:
If you use hand-held digital devices often and have poor neck posture, it’s only a matter of time before you develop neck pain.
Wondering how to get rid of a stiff neck?
Here are 7 smart steps you can take:
1. Reduce time spent on mobile phones/laptops/iPad.
2. Raise the hand-held device/lap top computer to eye-level. A table can be used to prop up a digital device raising it to eye level.
3. Sometimes people may have abnormal neck postures because they can’t see the digital device screen due to poor vision. Have an eye exam to assess the need for corrective lens.
4. Increase text font size to better see text messages without having to bring your head closer to screen.
5. Perform daily neck range of motion exercise each day that both stretch and strengthen. (Neck retraction, flexion, extension, side bending and rotation)
6. Invest in a supportive cervical pillow that you find comfortable for how you sleep and will keep your head in neutral position throughout the night
7. Schedule regular chiropractic spinal adjustments to help maintain proper movement patterns of the neck.
Small chiropractic adjustments can equal big changes in your quality of life-especially when it comes to how to get rid of a stiff neck-and our team is here to help!
Our focus is on helping you function better so you can feel better, and we don’t stop at adjusting your spine.
We’ll also work with you to provide you with stretches and exercises you can do from the comfort of your own home to boost the effects of our care.
So, if neck pain has gotten in the way of you enjoying your life and you’re looking for natural neck pain treatment in west lake worth, give us a call and schedule that next appointment today.
Your body will thank you!